Add this calculator on your website
Add BMR Calculator to your website and allow your users to use this calculator directly from your website. This widget is 100% free for all users, You can add it on multiple websites.
What is BMR Calclator
BMR stands for Basal metabolic rate, which are the minimum calories we require to live. BMR is influenced by lean mass each person has. A normal person BMR is the calculation of calories that each organ requires to function with, while you aren’t performing any activity. An increase in mass of muscles increases BMR and BMR decreases with increasing age and decreasing muscle mass. Total daily energy expenditure, TDEE is the total number of calories body consumes, daily, to function. The TDEE varies numerous factors, such as age, gender, and activity level. Men tend to have higher TDEE compared to women due to more muscle mass. BMR calculator is used to calculate the basal metabolic rate
How to use the BMR Calculator
At first, you have to enter your gender weather you’re a male or a female. Then there is an option to write age, height, and weight. Then there are five levels of activity given you have to choose from them. The five levels of activity are:
- Lightly active
- Moderately Active
- Very active
- Extremely active
After you have filled the information, the calculator your BMR in calories per day and the calories you require per day.
Factors that affect your BMR
- Some individuals are born with a faster BMR compared to others, for example, the Indians and Chinese have a slow BMR, while Europeans have a fast BMR. This might also be the difference in types of diets consumed by the Europeans and Indians. The people living in tropical areas have a high BMR, for example, the Singaporeans.
- Men tend to have more muscle mass, thus their BMR is more than women. The BMR of females, tend to decrease faster, when the age, compared to BMR of men.
- BMR is inversely proportional to age, for example, children have more BMR compared to a twenty-year-old adult.
- Percentage of fat in the body:
- The BMR is high if you have low fat composition in your body. One of other reason for high BMR in male’s body is the low composition of fat compared to women
- Body Surface area:
- The body surface area is calculated by the height and the weight. The BMR tends to be high if body surface area is high. Thin and tall people tend to have high BMR, if a short person and tall person have the same weight and their BMR was calculated, the tall person would have more BMR.
- Starving yourself or a sudden decrease in calories can decrease BMR up to thirty percent. Weight loss diet with low calories can cause BMR to drop up to twenty percent. The meat eaters have twenty percent higher BMR compared to vegetarians.
- Body health and temperature:
- If the internal temperature of the body increases up to 0.5C the BMR tends to increase up to seven percent as due to high temperature, the chemical reactions occur more quickly in the body. So a person suffering from fever and a high temperature of 42C would have an increased BMR of fifty percent.
- The gland that regulates BMR and increases metabolic reaction is thyroxin. If more thyroxin is produced BMR increases. A condition called, thyrotoxicosis, where BMR tends to double as too much thyroxin is produced. Another condition called myxedema in which BMR shrinks up to forty percent compared to BMR of a normal human, as thyroxin is produced in very little quantity. In anxiety or stress, BMR increases due to tense muscles and glans that release norepinephrine.
- External temperature:
- The temperature outside the body also effects the BMR. The external cold temperature tends to increase the BMR as it increases the extra heat needed inside the body. Short exposure to heat has little impact on BMR compared to long term exposure to heat as long term exposure tends to increase the BMR.
- BMR is not changed during pregnancy but during the late period of pregnancy the increase in BMR is due to the fetus.
- The BMR is increased during exercise as it builts an extra lean tissue.