What is RMR?
Resting Metabolic Rate or RMR is the number of calories your body burns while it is at rest. In other words, RMR is also the amount of total or net energy you need in order to do your every day and daily tasks like breathing, brain functioning, and blood circulating etc.
Why RMR Important?
We consider metabolism as just one process, but many processes and activities happening inside of our bodywork alongside – including resting metabolism – make the process fully happen.
RMR has already been described before. Knowing your Resting Metabolic Rate is a must. By knowing the number, you will get to know how many calories you can burn by simply existing or doing nothing. You can also increase your calorie consumption based on this information and can get a lot closer to your body fitness plans.
Sometimes, you feel lethargic, sleepy and slow while doing many tasks and that is not quite helpful but with the help of RMR you can get to know the number of calories and energy that is just so, you can carry out your basic everyday tasks. Through this, you will not consume more than the required amount of calories and in return, won’t be obese.
How to increase your resting metabolic rate?
There are a number of ways to how you can increase your RMR. But, in order to increase your RMR, you have to add up to your Lean Body Mass.
- You can do that by eating frequent meals. Try eating one every three hours. This will give you a lot more energy and you will also lose weight by hardly doing anything. Quite impressive, right?
- The next thing you can do is, try weight training about three to five times a week. This will add to your lean body muscle or mass and it has a direct relation with resting metabolic rate. You can easily increase one by increasing the other.
- Another thing you can do is add cardio to your everyday schedule. Through cardio, your body will stay lean, fit and in shape. That is an easy way of staying in full shape. Also, the increase in RMR is just one of its big benefits. You will also end up feeling more fresh and energetic.
Doing cardio can really help you go by your day. That feeling of laziness you have over you most of the time vanishes and you feel a lot fresher and alive.
Benefits of increase in RMR
If you are still doubtful or unsure about the benefits that RMR has on you and your health, here are some of them.
The most basic one is that you will be able to burn calories by hardly doing anything. That is not too bad, right? Dreaming of somehow lose or maintain weight by just doing nothing is the dream come true for the couch potatoes who won’t prefer getting up from their couch.
Increase in RMR automatically balances your weight. It has an overall positive influence on your body. There is no lie that the majority of diseases occur due to your diet and you being obese. Obesity has become a big, silent issue in the world that is growing rapidly day by day. It also includes heart diseases, diabetes, and hypertension etc.
You will also burn calories even while you are asleep, and you will burn more calories than average during your workout.
How to decrease your Resting Metabolic Rate
Basically, two factors that slow down or cut your RMR in half are age and hormones. Thyroid hormones of women kind of die down after they surpass the age of 40. Well, once you are 20 or over it, you will lose up to 2% to 3% of RMR each decade. But those are the factors you cannot control.
However, you can control your diet and the exercise you do daily. The decrease in RMR does not have a healthy or positive influence on your body and you can become prone to many strong diseases and illnesses that are long-lasting.
What Factors affects Resting Metabolic Rate?
Some factors that can affect your RMR are:
- Age: Your age is a pretty important and a highlighted factor. An increase in age can affect your RMR.
- Weight: A person with a heavyweight will have more resting metabolic rate. This is because the body of a person who has more weight has to work hard to maintain and support the extra mass.
- Body composition: : Muscle burns a lot more calories than fat. So, if your body has muscle on it and not fat, it will burn a lot more calories at rest.
- Stress or Emotional excitement: Good or bad stress also impacts your RMR. It releases chemicals called epinephrine and norepinephrine. Stress causes an increase in RMR and that leads to the utilization of these chemicals or hormones.
- Exercise: You can do strength exercises or other exercises for a lean body. These help in increase in RMR.
However, there are many other factors that impact your Resting Metabolic Rate in different ways.
Why Use RMR Calculator?
Online calculators can be found to find out or calculate your Resting Metabolic Rate. This calculator is one of those. It produces accurate results. So, you don’t have the slightest doubt. The calculator asks for information like your gender, age, weight, and height.
You can calculate your RMR in standard or Metric unit. The option for other units is also available. It is free to use and has no complications. The interface of the calculator is also simple and easy to use. You will face no difficulty regarding the calculator.
The best part about this calculator is that it has 100% accurate results. You can easily plan out your diet schedule with help from this calculator. If you are having difficulty using the calculator, you can also take help from the website regarding that issue.
Pregnancy Due Date Calculator
Pregnancy due date calculator week by week - Use our baby calculator to find out baby due date. Get estimation when your baby will be born..View Calculator
Macro macronutrients calculator: Adjust your carb, fats, proteins and nutrition with flexible diet to loss, gain or to maintain weight..View Calculator
Calculate BMR by using metabolism calculator. Best basal / resting metabolic rate calculator for men and women..View Calculator
Lean Body Mass Calculator
Subtract Body fat from total body weight to get Lean body mass. LBM Calculator shows pure body mass which shouldn't be dropped at any stage of workout..View Calculator